Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Some special words in Iyengarism

Few days back, when I happened to talk to one of my friend's mother (very orthodox), she was talking to me with some new words which I never heard of. I was for a minute amazed and surprised if words like that exist. (I am not even able to recall..). I checked with my mother and came to know that they talk in olden days ( a special chapa - muthirai of an Iyengar). Sometimes, if I listen to the paribashais, I laugh but at the same time respect the language 100 percent.

Just to ensure I dont forget them, I am writing some words that I know in this blog post. People who read this may be aware of many many more words.. Contributions welcome... :-)


Saadhikkaradhu - to serve in food - parimaarardhu
Saathamudhu - Rasam - Saatrin amudhu (amudhu - juice)
Thaligai - Cooking - Samayal
Thirukkanamudhu - Payasam
Akkaravadisal - Sakkarai Pongal
Karamudhu - Vegetable - Curry
Thaligai amsichacha - offering food to god
Dadhyodannam - Curd rice - thayir sadham
Sevithal - Prostrate ( Falling on one's feet) - Namaskaram
Thirumanjanam - Abhishekam
Thiruthuzhai - Tulasi
puzhakkadai - backyard - kollaipuram

ksheeraannam - Kalkandu paayasam


Apart from these, there might have been words but I have not heard that much.. Even I guess if these words are used in daily usage!

(May be in my next post, I shall post some more)
Hema

No comments:

Post a Comment