Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Technology and Mind

Technology makes people lazy? - True / False..
Leaving to individual's opinion. I feel it kind a makes people lazy and dependent on it.
Until seven years back, I had never heard of cell phones or possessed one. If anyone conveys their contact number to me, it was a customary practice for me to either register it in my mind (Had a little memory power that time ;) .. or pen down in a paper and immediately transfer it to a diary. Interestingly, many people nowadays look at their cell phones for their own number of their residence number. It makes me wonder with surprise as to how people could not register in their mind a small 8 digit number. What if you do not have cell phone with you in case of emergency or that you want to call home? I see a higher dependency factor here. I feel people should learn to live without gadgets or live with fundamental non-electronic, non-electrical gadget called paper and pen. What was thought to be an emergency item or an essential item is now a luxury item. Where will this type of technology lead people to? Will it make people lazy?
Having said this, the addiction towards social networking sites is also to be considered. I begin to feel that people (any age as long as you are a user of that SN site) do not know the real meaning and purpose of social networking sites. What are they meant for? What do people get to see? What is the privacy level? What are the related hazards to it? etc. Having asked so many questions, I myself being an active member of couple of SN sites except that I have clear limits in disclosing any information.
This began to rule my mind and a spark came that what if I live without it for sometime? Will I lose anything? Well the answer was a search for controling my mind. Thus began my MCE - Mind Control Exercises. To begin with, I decided to stay away from electronic gadgets for 24 hours christened as E-GAP - Electronic- Gadgets Abstinence Program. Thanks to my friend who coined this term for me. Initially tough for an hour or so. I slowly diverted my mind. At the end of 24 hours, my crazy or affection or dependency - whatever you call it faded away in toto. Even after 24 hours I was not inclined to watch TV - where favorite teams were playing. I guess its all in the mind.
The second program was away from Facebook or similar networking sites. This time around I decided I will go on for 48 hours. As of now, going on well :).
If someone asks me what would be your happiest / peaceful day in your life - my answer certainly would be
A day - A peaceful, serene environment with birds chirping, greeneries, and with a beautiful set of books - be it sci-fi - Matthew Reilley or Michael Crichton or authors like David Baldacci or Jeffrey Archer or our own beautiful writer Sujatha Rangarajan's books. Added to it would be a minimal food to feed my tummy and bottles of plain drinking water to quench my thirst. You live that life for 12 hours. I bet that day would be the HAPPIEST DAY IN LIFE.
Any views, please comment. Thanks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment