Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Kutty kutty thoughts on instructions

Here are some situations which really kinda made me wonder! Thanks to technology too.
Generally I see people tending for instructions when it comes to directions or dining at restaurants etc. There are very few who make genuine effort to figure out. Suppose we decide to meet up and say lets meet at ABC and it is located on Road and landmark A. This landmark is very very prominent in the city. Now isnt it easier to reach the place..
The questions related to this typically are!
1. Is it on the LHS or RHS? (No equations here)
2. What would be the color of the board? will it be visible or not?
3. How far should I go from that landmark to reach that place?
4. Will it come as soon as I cross the signal or should I take any U turns there? so on and so forth.
These generation people are so pampered and protected and that they are given directions so clearly with all the aforesaid questions answered in the directions to reach the place. Many dont take that small extra bend in life in figuring out or asking people / shops in the nearby location and get there.
This really annoyed me and I was reminded of one incident - (Not comparing here). When I was searching for job in mid 90s, I hardly knew the city of Chennai (then Madras) and I was new to Chennai. Haven't even had the luxury of stopping by or taking shelter in 3 /5 star restaurants due to rains. I was given one address called Poes Garden (dont remember the door number) for a job requirement. I figured out the way to get to Poes garden from West Mambalam and enquired some 7 - 8 people to get to that location(We never had the luxury of Google Maps). I am really wondering why people these days dont take small efforts to just ask people for directions. Female readers dont mistake me. I have observed this more in women than men. I genuinely would like to understand the possible reasons. Again I am not accusing one gender alone. This case is there in both men and women except that the ratio is different.
Also, everything is set for them.. Is it a good thing for this generation?? Should parents allow girls to learn by observing or teach them? Seriously I do not know. All I could say is No doubt the present generations (Generations X or Y or whatever) are street smart and are very clear in knowing what they want. Its great to have that clarity at very young age. Certainly it helps!!!. At the same time, I feel everything is provided to them. They do not learn to search for it. Having said that, should we blame the parents, society, technology?
Readers, please share your views, comments / opinions.. This is not to hurt anyone.. Just my views.

No comments:

Post a Comment