Thursday, April 18, 2013

Short story on focus and concentration

Recently, I listened to this story that is about concentration and focus. Just sharing for the message it carries...
Once there was a King who worshipped Lord Shiva everyday two times. Wherever he went, he worshipped Lord Shiva at the near by temple. Once, King and his friends decided to go for hunting. He along with his minister went to a forest. He did not find Lord's idol or temple to do his daily worship. So, he decided to use the sand and made a lingam to worship. At this time, there was a hunter who was in search of a deer that he spotted. The deer ran fast and the hunter chased it.

The deer crossed the King and ran even faster. The hunter who was chasing did not notice the King sitting and on his way, stamped on the lingam and ran faster. The King got offended and ordered his men to search for the hunter and punish the hunter. They searched for the hunter and could not find neither the deer nor the hunter. The minister who was watching this, told the King to wait as he felt the hunter will be coming back in this way(route). The King felt its a good idea to wait for the hunter to return back. 

The hunter returned back with the deer on his shoulder and happiness on his face. He succeeded in his attempt to hunt the deer. On his way back, he saw the King and bowed him and enquired him. He also offered help to the King if the King wanted to hunt any particular animal. The King listening to this suspected the hunter if he is lying.
The King raised his voice and said, "Look, you passed by me when you ran. I was sitting here and you also stamped on the lingam on your way.How can you go without seeing me? I am the King, remember!". 

The King was shocked by the reply the hunter gave. The hunter said, "My King, I ran chasing the deer. I stayed focused to hunt the deer. On my way, if I see anyone or anything, my concentration to hunt the deer will slip and I will not be able to achieve my goal. When I went for hunting, if I had seen you are there, you are worshipping etc, I will slip in my task. The deer will go out of my sight. I will not be able to catch the deer. When there is 100 percent concentration on the task that I do only then I will be able to complete it. This is the lesson, I learnt out of experience."

The King realised. If a hunter is so focused and committed in his duty, I as a King should have stayed focused in the worship that I did. Instead, I slipped and looked for who ran crossing me etc. When I noticed these things, my concentration towards worship went down and I did not give my 100 percent.
Whatever we do, it is very important that we stay committed and give our full concentration to it. This holds true to our prayers. It is important to think GOD and only GOD when we offer prayers. 

Signing off,
SPH


1 comment: