Saturday, May 8, 2010

Aazhwar Paasurams

On a fine Sunday morning, there was a request from my mother to play some songs she wanted to listen to and as usual my question back to her was 'What song do you want me to play?'. Her natural choice of musicians are real stalwarts (jambhavaans). Even before she could answer the stupid(!) question, I played in Windows Media Player.. Along with my amma, I listened to MS singing in a Ramanavami festival in AIR (guess it was in 1971). I was deeply attracted to 2 songs she sang - Periazhwar Paasuram and Bhavayami Raghuramam (both Raagamaligai).


All Paasurams are amazing to listen to. This paasuram she sang was from Nineth Thirumozhi. This thirumozhi (of 10 hymns) narrates the greatness of Rama and Krishna in the form of 2 thozhi(girls) conversation. I am sure it would take janmas to understand the beauty of the hymns...





5 comments:

  1. Some of the best I have enjoyed from Periyazhvar are...

    ஒருமகள் தன்னை உடையேன் உலகம் நிறைந்த புகழால் திருமகள் போல வளர்த்தேன்... செங்கண்மால் தான் கொண்டுபோனான்... பெருமகளாய்க் குடிவாழ்ந்து பெரும்பிள்ளை பெற்ற யசோதை... மருமகளைக் கொண்டு மணாட்டுப் புறஞ்செய்யும் கொலோ!

    What a lovely way to express the father's plight after giving away the daughter in marriage! Unique emotions of men, not normally appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. True and its amazing.. I still wonder how they could have sung 'Mangalasaasanams' of all the shrines.. Its so great...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This paasuram reflects the father's anguish when lord took away his daughter. A tribute to Periazhwar was made by Paandiya bhattar (i think),

    பாண்டியன் கொண்டாடப் பட்டர்பிரான் வந்தானென்று ஈண்டிய
    சங்கம் எடுத்தூத--வேண்டிய வேதங்கள் ஓதி விரைந்து
    கிழியறுத்தான் பாதங்கள் யாமுடைய பற்று

    ReplyDelete
  4. tis paasurams nd thiruvaimozhi..etc..r all greek latin to me??....can u elaborate on tis...its history nd significances in ur future postings?...

    rgds sathyan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes sure RS Sir... Will start elaborating on that shortly.. Perhaps I need to study further :).. Nevertheless, I shall start posting exclusively on Azhwars and their praises...

    ReplyDelete