Thursday, February 21, 2013

My listening to Music Season 2012

In general, there is a saying, "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail". Planning is important to everyone and in everything..  Whether it is the musicians or the rasikas, planning is required. There are so many rasikas who plan well such that they attend almost all the concerts and stay for a few songs and hop sabhas. Somehow, I personally do not like to go in the mid of any concert unless there is an emergency. Last year(2011), I planned to attend many concerts depending on my work schedule. Sometimes, in life, many things happen when it is totally un-planned. When I had planned, I achieved very less.

This time, I decided I am not going to plan. I will attend concerts as it goes. I was able to attend to at least 20 concerts. Shri Vijay Siva's concert organized by Brahma Gana Sabha was the "pillaiyar suzhi" for my ears which has gotten ready to listen more.I am sorry for posting so late (blame it to procrastination). This year season was very special to me for:
1. I got an opportunity to listen to more concerts this time.
2. Acquaintances with great people gives you positive thoughts and spreads positive vibes.
3. Music music music - Good quality music.
4. First time, at MA, got a chance to listen to concerts thoroughly sitting in dias.- Adhu oru thani sugam...
5. Excellent RTPs....
and many many more.....

You just need ONE reason to listen to GOOD, QUALITY music..

Every concert was a gem in its own ways. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to concerts and of course, when you get good set of people to accompany to enjoy the music, what more do you ask for?. You will but not fail to LEAD ( Listening lEading to Anandham and Divinity).

I went to almost all the artists' concerts - ranging from a beginner to a junior level to mid level to seasoned musician and also super seniors. I must admit, it was a real blessing.

Just when I thought I am missing listening to instrumental music, there sprung a surprise. Ranjani Gayatri duo gave an excellent performance in Violin. It was the first time I listened to them play LIVE and Oh my God, "the fingers literally flew (intentional vernacular translation)".

What more, I did get another opportunity to listen to another mellifluous instrument that was once used as accompanying instrument - Veena. My cousin played in Sri KGS and I was there "aajar".

Normally, concerts span for a 2 1/2 hour duration and some cases goes up to 3 hours. When you get a chance to listen to a kind of Marathon, what will you say - Yes, right? Yes, I also listened to RG's 4 hours and  TMK's 4 hours concert.

I intend posting the list of songs (partial list of concerts I attended) of the songs rendered in Season 2012. 

The 4 hours concert was something special.. 
Jan 5th and 6th concerts at Kalarasana with Smts Ranjani & Gayatri with superb accompanying artists. The team enthralled the audience continuously for 4 hours. 
5th - Smts RG superbly supported by Shri HN Bhaskar on the Violin, Shri Arunprakash Krishnan on the Mridangam and Shri KV Gopalakrishnan on the Kanjira. 
6th was Shri TMK's concert excellent support by Shri RK ShriramKumar on the violin, Shri Tanjore Sankaran on the Mridangam and Shri B S Purushotham on the Kanjira and Shri Guru Prasad on the Ghatam.
I loved both the ones. Not that I did not like the others. Listening to 4 hours is entirely different from normal season concerts for 2 and half to 3 hours.
With God's blessing, parents' blessings, Guru's karunai, , my best siblings support, my listening spree is continuing.. I hope to listen more in 2013.
I am not going to comment/critic on anyone's music for 2 reasons : I do not possess/ qualify the technical skills and expertise; it would not be apt for me to comment about stalwarts. I leave to music critics and Connoisseurs.

Signing off,
SPH

No comments:

Post a Comment