Monday, September 28, 2009

How to name it - Premiere

Am back after a brief hiatus ;-)
A premiere:


I have been bestowed with wonderful friends and well wishers who have just been showering me with help, positive thoughts, motivation, so on and so forth. I take this opportunity to thank every one of them on my xth birthday. It has been a wonderful roller coaster experience with lots of fun, fight and learning during the 3 semesters.

It all began on a fine night when I was just wondering where to head way in the career ladder after 11 years of continuous work experience. The search for betterment began that night coupled with apprehensions at every stage. There were handful of options on my hand such as continuing the current job, hop for a new job, be on my own and continue with my brief entrepreneurial stint and take it further, go for the domestic assignments and a period to corporate ladder, signing up for higher studies– meaning both in the US and India so on and so forth. While this was dominating and eating my brain, I gave a thought to studying(!) on a little note. The scary thing at the back of me was people saying.." you.. studying.. at this age.". with a self note that "College a naana? "(sounding like a Santoor advertisement). Yes. Believe it or not.. This question was haunting me so much.

There was this little courageous (yet in a timid voice ) me who kept telling “just go for it” without any big killer instinct. The just go for it was literally an attempt to see if the coin will turn to my favour. As a result, I applied through Anna university and successfully got an admission. No preparation for the entrance exams. It has been a long time since I sat for an exam. So this was a kind of a new experience. As a result, I scored little above average in TANCET and got into this city college. The journey has just begun.

In the meanwhile, all my final formalities of resigning the permanent job were just happening with heavy element of convincing skills taking a stride. My previous employers are just gems. They were really kind enough in NOT allowing me to resign (lol) but at the same time encouraged me in my next big step. So I came out of my employer with a win-win situation (I guess I managed succession planning pretty decently). When I said I am going to study, I had mixed reactions. Some said its a very good move. Some said it’s an awful (not awesome) move. Some chuckled. I had to convince whole loads of people. The reason being they are the industry people.

Lesson learnt: If you are taking a studying path after a long work experience, do not act fast. Take time to choose and don’t regret from then on. Have self conviction.



No comments:

Post a Comment